Enter your E-MAIL address BELOW for JOKES by E-MAIL once a WEEK!
Graphics work too much
You've been in graphics too long if...
by Chris Thornborrow
- Most of your friends can pronounce Gouraud first time.
- When you fist heard that some people used 16 million colours you wondered whatever for and continued to write colour-map tables for correct highlights on objects.
- You remember comp.graphics when there weren't enough articles for you to read, none of them included the word PC and nobody ever asked the difference between raytracing and rendering.
- You insist that DOOM does not use raycasting. (Technically, as it was first introduced, and anyway, who plays games at your age?)
- Your partner knows the difference between scientific visualisation and photorealistic rendering, even though they wouldn't know a polygon from a camel.
- You think an SGI Indy is OK for a quick hack but not a real graphics machine.
- You remember discussing how one day there would be graphics hardware to support rendering in desktop machines and people laughed.
- You watched the Last Starfighter in an empty theatre and marvelled thinking it was even better than TRON.
- You remember thinking that parallel computers would solve your graphics problems.
- You remember when you thought X was a high level graphics language.
- You get drunk and suddenly get really excited examining the light reflected through the whisky.
- You get despondent while walking in the woods and think "I'll never be able to render this in real time."
- You once sat up all night watching your home computer calculate the mandlebrot set with 16 colours and a resolution of 200x200.
- You sat up the next night with colleagues watching your home computer calculate the mandlebrot set with 16 colours and a resolution of 200x200.
- Your address book has email entries for Benoit, James F, and Prof David R and Eric.
- You think being a computer geek is only half way there.
- You wonder how nature processes all those photons so quickly.
- When people mention the word graphics you really insist they are more accurate in their terminology.
- You get irritated by people who say, "Oh, graphics, that's a solved problem" (even if they then go on to be precise about what they mean by the term "graphics").
- You own one or more of the following: a glass sphere, a prism, more then two copies of Foley and Van Dam, a computer which cost more than your car, a computer which cost more than your house, a pet named Phong, a graphics board from a defunct supercomputer (properly framed) or a Rubics Cube (original).
- You get 75% or more of these jokes.
Visit the previous joke about this topic!
Return to the computer jokes pages
|Search for Jokes by Keyword